Every Kid Can Cook offers free monthly cooking classes to kids and families just like yours to boost confidence and leadership in the kitchen. Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned kid-chef, we’re excited to have you join us! Although you’re probably ready to get in the kitchen and start cooking already, you might have a few questions you need answered first. You’ve come to the right place, because we’ve gathered all of our most frequently asked questions and compiled them into this list. We hope this article helps you find what you’re looking for, but if not, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us for extra help. We’re happy you’re here!
1. I’ve signed up for class and my spot is reserved! What do I need to do in order to prepare before class? We aim to give you as much time as you need to gather any supplies and ingredients that you’ll need for class. This information, along with a link to the virtual class, will be sent out via email approximately 1 week prior to class. There will be some other instructions included in this document on which ingredients you’ll want to have prepped ahead of time (so you don’t fall behind!). These might be things like chopping, shredding, dicing, and pre-measuring certain ingredients. Don’t worry, this will be clearly noted in the document sent out.
2. What if the class time doesn’t work for me? We understand that some of our little cooks might have conflicts with other commitments at the time of our classes. We wish we could find a time that worked for every little cook out there, but as of right now, 3 p.m. EST seems to be the best fit for most.
3. What if I can’t find all of the right ingredients? There are certain ingredients that can be substituted pretty seamlessly. Here’s a list of simple ingredient swaps that you might find helpful! If you’re unable to find a suitable swap, we recommend checking for the ingredient at another nearby grocery store, specialty grocer, local market, or even your neighbors house (just like the old days!). Ask the store clerk when he/she thinks the item might be restocked, and ask them to put one on hold for you. Where there’s a will, there’s a way!
4. What if I’m a bit slower at cooking and need extra time? Our lead chef does her best to cook at a pace suitable for everyone, but it’s possible that some of our little cooks might fall behind on a step or two. If this happens, don’t fret! We will take frequent pauses to let everyone catch up. If necessary, there will also be a recipe instruction sheet provided for you to follow. Our goal is to keep everyone cooking together, so this won’t be sent until we see some little cooks that need it. This will be sent out in the chat box of the virtual class (our lead chef will make sure to tell you when it’s sent out so you don’t miss it!).
5. Can I ask questions during class? Absolutely! We encourage questions of all kinds during class. This is a learning experience and we want our little cooks to get as much out of it as possible. We do ask that you keep yourself muted and use the chat box to ask questions. Someone from our team will answer you right away.
6. Will children need adult assistance/supervision during class? Some steps of the cooking process might be a little tricky for our younger cooks out there. It’s recommended that each child has an adult nearby who can assist him/her when needed. There’s nothing quite like cooking together, so use it as an opportunity to bond and build memories together!
7. What is “Boss Kids Cook” and why does everyone keep talking about it? Boss Kids Cook is a program that creates future leaders through online cooking and nutrition education, inspiring them to eat and cook healthier. It’s a bit different from our monthly cooking classes in that Boss Kids get to create their own recipes to share with the world. By taking on a leadership role, program members have the opportunity to produce cooking videos that inspire their peers. Take your cooking skills and nutrition education to the next level by clicking here!
We hope this blog post has answered some of your questions regarding Every Kid Can Cook cooking classes. If you find yourself still scratching your head about something, please don’t hesitate to contact us! Happy cooking!