Have you been daydreaming about the magic of the Christmas season? If so, some of those daydreams may have included what you’ll be gifting your family and friends this year. If you’re having trouble deciding, Every Kid Can Cook is here to help. This tasty gift can be made at home in your own kitchen! Teachers, neighbors, and family members are sure to love these flavorful and homemade roasted nuts. This treat is so delicious, you’ll probably end up making a batch to keep for yourself!
What You Need:
- 2 cups of nuts of your choice (good options include almonds, cashews, or pecans)
- 2 tablespoons of oil (healthiest options include olive oil, avocado oil, or canola oil)
- Spices and herbs, to taste. See below for flavor options and ideas.
- Honey, to taste—if you want to make nuts with a sweet flavor.
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment paper (optional, but helpful)
- Mason jars or baggies for wrapping
- Adult helper for using the oven
What To Do:
1. Decide what nuts you would like to use and how you would like to flavor your nuts. Use your favorite spices and herbs or try these combinations:
- Sea salt and olive oil
- Cinnamon and honey with canola oil
- Rosemary and olive oil
- Chili powder and avocado oil
2. Ask an adult to preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
3. Place nuts into a large bowl and pour oil on top. Toss nuts and oil until evenly coated.
4. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of your seasonings over the nuts. You may add additional seasonings in ¼ teaspoon increments, if desired, for a more intense flavor. Toss nuts again to evenly coat them with the seasonings.
5. Place parchment paper on top of a large baking sheet. Layer nuts evenly across parchment paper.
6. Grab your adult helper and ask them to place the nuts in the oven to roast. Bake until the nuts begin to crisp into a golden brown hue. This typically takes about ten minutes, but ask an adult to help you decide if they’re done or not. Sometimes, depending on your oven, they might need more or less time.
7. With adult help, remove nuts from the oven and allow them to cool.
8. Package nuts in fun Christmas containers or wrapping. Mason jars with ribbon, bags with bows, or decorative boxes are all great options!