We get it. It’s cold outside, it gets dark early, and that warm blanket on the couch is calling your name. But before you cozy up with a good TV show, ask yourself if you’ve allowed time to move your body yet today. Chances are, your physical activity level has been down over the past couple of months in comparison to those warm, summer days. While this is completely normal and nothing to feel bad about, we thought it would be fun to list some creative ways that you can still be active this winter! Exercise is so important for our health: it promotes heart health, builds endurance, and improves mental health, too! So let’s get moving with these fun tips below:
1) Bundle up and go outside! This one might seem obvious, but we can’t possibly skip over the most fun winter activity out there. If it’s snowy where you live, pull out the sled, build a snowman, or arrange a snowball fight with the neighbors! No matter what snowy activity you choose, we’re sure you’ll have a great time and get plenty of exercise. Here are 101 activities and games to play in the snow, to get you started. Don’t forget the hot cocoa afterwards!
2) Create a scavenger hunt. Gather as many winter-themed items as you can think of and hide them around the house (i.e. Christmas ornament, candy canes, mittens, coffee mugs, and chocolates!). If you’d like to participate in the hunt, ask an adult to hide the items so you don’t know where they are. Gather up your siblings and/or friends, and let the games begin! You can play as many times as you’d like… just re-hide the items time and time again. If you’re willing to brave the cold, try out this outdoor winter scavenger hunt!
3) Join your local recreation center. Most towns have a recreation center, which is a place for people of the community to participate in various activities, like swimming, basketball, soccer, volleyball, and track running! Most recreation centers charge a fee for usage of their facilities, but make sure to call your local center to learn more.
4) Find an exercise video on Youtube! Clear some space in your living room or find another open space in your house for this activity. Make it even more fun by asking your family to join in on the movement. To get you started, here are some great, kid-friendly exercise videos: HealthWorks! Cardio , HealthWorks! Core Strength , and HealthWorks! Cardio and Weights.
5) Be a tourist in your own city! In most places, activities like the roller rink, the bowling alley, or rock climbing are within a short drives distance. Even something as simple as mall walking with your parents is an easy way to get moving. With the supervision of an adult, do a quick Google search to identify what your city has to offer. Grab some friends, set a date, and have a blast!
Don’t forget to stay creative while coming up with ways to exercise and stay active this winter. The possibilities are endless! Let us know what you come up with by snapping a pic and tagging us on our Facebook page. Happy exercising!